Monday, September 10, 2012

Documentary Photography Week 1

David Hurn









David Hurn's photos, especially those above, documented daily life, mainly in the UK. He gained a photojournalist reputation after photographing the Hungarian Revolution in 1956. In the 60's, he turned more towards documentary photography. He has been quoted saying "Life as it unfolds in front of the camera is full of so much complexity, wonder and surprise that I find it unnecessary to create new realities. There is more pleasure, for me, in things as-they-are." This relates to our discussion of whether or not it is acceptable to alter what's in the frame before the photo is taken. Hurn expressed that he prefers to photograph things as they are. As a photographer, I also prefer to take this approach. The goal of my first project is to photograph my own daily life as I see it unfold. I do not plan on altering the image in any way, other than touching it up after it has been captured.

No comments:

Post a Comment